Field Week of Doom Part 2: Seriously???

The next morning, I was still grumpy about the whole evening before but what can you do?  I had to keep working.  So I got up like usual and Egghead and I drove off to field mapping land, once again.  We managed to pass the stupid ruts without incident this time (Phew!) and continued down the road.  After that, things started to get a little hairy.  The road was pretty narrow, but I've been on roads where you have to dodge trees before.  Obviously Egghead, being from The Bronx, has not.  At one point, he drove over a tree.  Not a little tree, a big tree.  I definitely yelled at him for that one.  He kept scraping up against a bunch of stuff too, which wasn't as big of a deal.  I've done that before.

Finally, we turned a corner and I noticed a deep drainage crossing through the road.  I saw a little flat spot where we could park and told Egghead to stop there.  He said "Oh, no, the worst part of the road is behind us," and plowed on through.  And guess what... we got stuck.  Again.  This time, in the stupid drainage.   I said, "And that's why I wanted to stop."  He was just like, "I know, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."  Well, sorry doesn't cut it.

We ended up having to call dispatch again to come pull us out.  While we were waiting, we walked to a different spot and dug a hole.  While I was finishing up, Egghead went up to the top of the hill to get better radio signal, and I waited and waited for him to get back.  It seemed like forever.

I heard car doors slamming and voices down below where our truck was, so I figured the fire truck had shown up and I went down the hill to meet them.  When I got down, Egghead was already there.  Thanks a lot for letting me know, dude.  I was just sitting up there the whole time waiting and wasting time.

Anyway, the two fire guys who came ended up attaching the winch on our truck to a tree and driving it forward and out.  I had no idea how to use the winch.  No one shows me these things.  Of course, I'd probably mess it up.  But they were able to do it and also turned us around back on the other side of the drainage.  They even offered to use their saw to cut a log a bit further up the road, but I said no, that wasn't necessary.  I think they were bored.  They said they had been painting a barn before they got the call to come down there.

The rest of the day proceeded as usual.  I was a little set back on time, but I got a decent amount done.  I still didn't even know the worst of it, though.

0 comments:

Post a Comment